Facebook had to encounter a lot of criticism worldwide in Cambridge Analytica scandal. Most of its active users deleted their account and downloaded all their data that they had uploaded on Facebook servers. This was not possible on Instagram till a few days back.
Facebook owned Instagram that made its presence in 2010 took almost 8 years to provide its users with a feature to download their data. In between many third-party tools and apps were developed committing complete download of data from Instagram. However, since those apps require login details of Instagram therefore there’s always a doubt creeping into user’s mind regarding the security of his account. But now with the latest addition of data download feature by Instagram a user can anytime download his data. This feature is presently available only on the web, however, Instagram promises that in future it will be rolled out for its iOS and Android users as well.
So, if you wish to download all your Instagram data then just follow step by step procedure described in the article below.
Download All Your Instagram Data
This latest addition of data download feature by Instagram not only increases the transparency but also provides all its users a much-needed control over their data. So, if you guys want to get an archive of all your Instagram data that you have uploaded then continue to read till the end.
- Open Instagram on your favorite web browser and log in to your account. Now, click on your profile picture.
- Click on the gear icon next to Edit Profile to open Settings menu.
- In the Settings menu select Privacy and Security.
- In Privacy and Security settings window scroll down and click on Request Download in Data Download.
- Type in your email address in the Email field and click on Next button.
- Type in your Instagram account password and click on Request Download button.
- Now a message will appear that Instagram has started creating a file of all your shared data and will email you once its ready. Also, Instagram states that it takes up to 48 hours for it to send your data but in most cases, it takes less than an hour. In my case I received my data download link within 20 minutes.
- Now after some time you will receive an email from Instagram containing a downlink for your data.
- Open the email and click on Download Data to download all the data that you have uploaded on Instagram.
Note: The download link contains all your personal details like your complete profile information, photos you have shared, comments you posted and much more. Therefore, while downloading data make sure that you are downloading it on your personal computer not on a public computer. Also, the download link will remain valid 4 days from the date you received.
It is believed that Instagram was bound to release the data download feature in order to comply with Europe’s new General Data Protection Regulation that is coming into effect from May 25. But whatsoever be the reason it’ still a welcome step from Instagram as it provides users a more control over their data.
BettyI followed the steps. IG confirmed the request. It’s been 4 days. No email with download link. Help!
Mansi VijayHello Betty, Greetings from WeTheGeek! Once you click the Request Download button, you should receive an email that contains all of your Instagram account’s personal data and files. The process can take up to 48 hours, though, according to Instagram. But if you haven’t received the mail, we advise you to perform the downloading process again!