We all use Facebook to stay connected with our loved ones and share our never-ending memories with them. Facebook’s impact on our life is so deep that whether it is a vacation or a life achievement, things feel incomplete without a corresponding post on Facebook.
However, do any of you ever think about what would happen to our Facebook account after we finally bite the dust? Will it be deleted, or is there any possibility that it can be managed by any of our friends or family members? If you too have such questions in your mind, then this article is worth reading for you.
What Is A Legacy Contact?
As per Facebook, a legacy contact is someone whom you permit to manage your Facebook account after your death. A legacy contact can update the profile or cover picture, respond to the new friend request and pin a post on your timeline, but they can neither post like you nor can access your messages. However, while selecting a legacy contact you have an option to allow them to archive your complete Facebook data. In other words, a legacy contact is someone who takes care of your Facebook account when you are no more in this world. In this way, they can make your account a remembrance for your loved ones.
How To Add A Legacy Contact:
Follow these steps below to learn how you can easily set up a Legacy contact on your Facebook account –
1. Sign in to your Facebook account and click on the down arrow at the top right corner of the screen. Now from the drop-down menu and go to Settings & privacy and then click on Settings.
2. Now under the General Setting tab, you can see the information on your Facebook account.
Now click on Security option followed by Legacy Contact.
Go to the Memorialisation settings and click on the Edit button next to it.
3. Under the Memorialisation settings page you will find important information on the Legacy Contact. Here you can choose your Facebook friend whom you wish to add a legacy contact after which you need to click on Add fix it.
4. You can now notify your friend by sending a default message that you have selected them as your legacy contact, by clicking on the Send button. You can also change the message as per your choice.
5. There is another option that permits your legacy contact to archive your Facebook data. If you do not want your legacy contact to archive your data then leave it unchecked.
What a Legacy Contact Will Be Able To Do And What Don’t?
A legacy contact is just the one who takes care of the Facebook account, they cannot maintain the account as an owner. Here is the list that what a legacy contact can do:
- They can accept or decline the new friend requests
- They can change the profile picture along with the cover photo.
- They can write a pinned post for your Facebook profile.
- They can request the removal of the account.
Things Facebook legacy contact can’t do:
- They cannot read your Facebook messages.
- They cannot remove any of your already added friends on Facebook.
- They cannot log in to your account.
- They cannot make any alterations to the already existing posts.
Undoubtedly, Facebook’s concern for its existing users is unquestionable, however, this feature is something thatproves that Facebook has a deep concern even for those users who are no more in this beautiful world.