Cybersecurity is one of the major concerns of every internet user. One layer of security is surely not enough. A complex password is a good way to protect your data, but it can still be hacked or cracked. Therefore, adding a second layer, two-factor authentication is must to provide protection against online threats.
With two-factor authentication, the service uses two things to authenticate you, something you know, something you have (in this you need a device to be present). Once you authenticate the service, you can login into your own account.
The second layer is also not entirely guarded. However, if someone takes your password, they still need to have physical access to your device to get passcode that you receive to sign in. Most of the popular websites support the feature and it is advised to enable the feature for every account that supports it. There are various apps available to provide the two-factor authentication feature on iPhone and Android.
How To Choose A Best Two-Factor Authentication App?
We have listed a few two-factor authentication apps for your Android and iPhone, we have kept in mind a few things:
First, we have listed apps that could work on both on Android and iOS, which means benefit of large group of users.
Second, we have kept in mind that every app listed is supported by developers so that the bugs and loopholes in the app could get fixed from time to time.
We have listed free two-factor authentication apps so that anyone of the users could take benefit of this feature.
The two-factor authentication apps which works on large number of websites and services.
Two-Factor Authentication Apps For Android & iPhone
Getting a two-factor authentication app on your phone seems to be most reliable solution to strengthen security on your device. We have listed some of the best two-factor authentication apps for Android & iPhone.
Authy is a two-factor authentication app which provides authentication at convenience on both Android and iOS devices. Authy helps you protect your accounts from hackers and cybercriminals as it adds an extra layer of security. Let’s check out the features of Authy:
- Authy comes with secure cloud encrypted backups so that you always have access to your tokens It works on the same algorithm used by banks and the NSA to protect your information.
- It enables you to add devices to your account and all of your 2fa tokens will get synchronized automatically.
- It generates secure tokens while the device is offline, so that you can authenticate even when the device is on airplane mode.
- It supports almost all multifactor authentication accounts such as Facebook, Amazon, Dropbox, Gmail, and others. The app also supports
Authy is a preferred 2F authentication app to protect your bitcoin wallet. It is trusted by various companies such as Coinbase, CEX.IO, BitGo and others.
2. LastPass Authenticator
LastPass Authenticator is one of the best two-factor authentication apps for iPhone and Android that provides 2F authentication for your LastPass account along with other supported apps. The app comes with single tap verification and secure cloud backup to provide security. Let’s take a look at the features of LastPass Authentication:
- It protects your LastPass account as it needs two-factor authentication codes when you sign in.
- It generates 6-digit every 30 seconds.
- It comes with encrypted backup to restore your tokens in case you have a new device or reinstalled a device.
- It supports other TOTP-compatible services and apps.
You can get push notifications on one tap approval and it also provides support for SMS codes. LastPass authenticator comes with Automated setup through QR code.
Install LastPass Authenticator: Android /iOS
3. Duo Mobile
Duo Mobile is a best authenticator app for Android and iPhone which to manage the access and authentication of multiple users. The 2FA app comes with simple intuitive interface and is easy to use. Let’s take a look at the features of Duo Mobile:
- It generates passcodes for login.
- It can receive push notification to make authentication easy on your devices.
- You can use Duo Mobile to manage 2F authentication for other apps and web services.
- To make the Duo Mobile work, you need to activate and link your account before it will work. Once it is done, you can add third party accounts as well.
Duo Mobile has an official app for Windows and macOS as well, so it is accessible everywhere. It also supports encrypted backups.
Install Duo Mobile: Android/iOS
4. Microsoft Authenticator
Microsoft Authenticator is a two-factor authentication app for Android and iPhone. With the app, you can use your phone instead of password to login to Microsoft account. Just enter username, approve notification displayed on your phone to login. Let’s look at the features of Microsoft Authenticator:
- It takes fingerprint, PIN or face ID as second layer of security.
- With this second layer of security, you can get access to Microsoft products like OneDrive, Outlook and more.
- It also supports multi factor authentication for school, work, and non-Microsoft accounts.
- When you try to login to your account, you need to enter your password, and then you have to go through an additional layer to prove it’s you.
Microsoft Authenticator supports cert-based authentication through issuing a certificate on your device when you need to login to your school or work account.
Install Microsoft Authenticator: Android/iOS
5. Google Authenticator
Google Authenticator is one of best two-factor authentication apps for Android and iPhone as generates 2-Step Verification codes on your phone. This provides you stronger security for your Google account as you require to cross two layers of security before signing in. Let’s take a look at the features of Google Authenticator:
- It generates verification codes even if you are offline.
- Google Authenticator supports many providers & accounts
- You need camera permission to add account via QR codes.
- It supports time-based and counter-based code generation.
Install Google Authenticator: Android/iOS
Google Authenticator can also be used on web browser as an extension on Chrome. Though the extension can be accessed on any of the platforms.
To Wrap Up: What To Choose?
Bottom line is we should promote using 2FA as it strengthens the security. Even though it takes time and most of us doesn’t have time but if you think for future perspective, you need it to protect yourself from hackers. 2FA apps protect you and your data from unauthorized access. If you are up for it and a two-factor authentication app, you can check out our list.