Are you facing issues with the Wi-Fi range? Here’s how to strengthen your Wi-Fi signal.
When asked to name a few things that you wouldn’t be able to live without, what would that be? Will it be family, friends, car, shower, coffee, chocolate, or Wi-Fi?
You might be surprised to know, for most of the population it is Wi-Fi, and due to this, it has become indispensable. We can take a break from family and friends but not from the internet, because of this when issues with Wi-Fi range or connectivity occur we get frustrated.
But worry not, in this troubleshooting guide, we will learn ways to boost Bluetooth signal and Wi-Fi range.
How to Extend Wi-Fi range and amplify Wi-Fi Signal?
Wi-Fi is a great way to ditch wires and keep the workspace neat. But, after updating Windows 10 many users have reported facing Wi-Fi range issues. If you can relate to what we are saying, you are at the right place.
In this post, we will learn how to boost Bluetooth signals and extend the Wi-Fi range.
11 Best Ways to Boost Wi-Fi Signal In Windows 10
List of Contents
- How to Extend Wi-Fi range and amplify Wi-Fi Signal?
- 1. Update network adapter drivers
- 2. Change the sensibility value
- 3. Modify wireless adapter settings
- Additional Tip
- 4. Disable Bluetooth
- 5. Check wireless card
- 6. Change router wireless channel
- 7. Change Wi-Fi adapter antenna
- 8. Set antenna diversity to Auxiliary
- 9. Ensure the card is properly installed
- 10. Update router firmware
- 11. Change band preference
- How to Boost Wi-Fi Signals?
1. Update network adapter drivers
Usually, issues with the Wi-Fi range occur due to outdated or corrupt drivers. Therefore, to fix issues with wireless networks and to extend the Wi-Fi range updating network adapter drivers is recommended. This can be done both manually and automatically.
To update drivers manually, you need to visit the manufacturer’s website and get the right driver based on the operating system you are using.
To learn how to do that manually, you can also read our previous post.
However, if you don’t have the time nor have the patience to do it manually, you can use Advanced Driver Updater, the best driver update software for Windows. Using this tool in no time, you can update outdated, corrupt, and missing drives.
To learn how to use Advanced Driver Updater, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
2. Launch the software to scan the system for outdated drivers
3. Click Start Scan Now and wait for the scan to finish
4. Once done, you will see a list of outdated drivers.
5. To update the outdated network driver, click Update driver next to it.
Note: If you are using a trial version of the product to update drivers, you’ll need to click the Update driver button next to each driver. However, if you have the Pro version, you can update all outdated drivers in one go by clicking Update All.
6. After updating the driver, restart the system.
Now try to connect to Wi-Fi you should not face any problem.
Why should you use driver updater software?
A dedicated tool to update drivers quickly scans the system for outdated drivers. Moreover, the driver database it has ensures, the user gets the compatible and updated driver without heading to the manufacturer site. Not only this, tools like Advanced Driver Updater also keep a backup of the old driver, allowing you to restore the driver if anything goes wrong.
2. Change the sensibility value
Modifying sensibility value also helps boost Wi-Fi signal. To change the value, follow the steps below :
1. Type Device Manager in Windows search bar.
2. Here, look for Wi-Fi adapter/ network adapter, right-click > Properties
3. Click the Advanced tab in the new window that opens and select Roaming Sensitivity under Property. Next, click the down arrow under Value and select Highest or High.
4. In addition to this, ensure Antenna Diversity Selection is set to Auto > ok.
5. Restart the system to apply changes.
Now try to use the wireless network, you should not face any problems.
3. Modify wireless adapter settings
Wireless adapters on Windows 10 are set to work on medium power saving mode, and this sometimes interferes with the range of Wi-Fi. To troubleshoot this issue, changing Wi-Fi adapter settings to Maximum performance is recommended.
To do so, follow these steps:
1. Press Windows + R and type control.
2. Look for Power Options and double-click it.
3. Next, click Change plan settings
4. Now, select Change advanced power settings from the consecutive window.
5. This will open a new pop-up window, look for Wireless Adapter Settings > double click it. Afterward, double click Power Saving Mode and click the down arrow next to Setting > select Maximum Performance.
6. Apply > Ok.
Tip: If this seems to be too much work, you can switch to High-performance mode. This will automatically set Power Saving to Maximum Performance. Switching to High Performance will drain the laptop battery quickly.
4. Disable Bluetooth
In some cases by disabling the Bluetooth adapter, you can fix Wi-Fi range issues. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run window
2. Enter devmgmgt.msc
3. Look for Bluetooth and double click it to expand
4. Select the Bluetooth adapter > right-click > Disable
This should help boost the Wi-Fi signal.
5. Check wireless card
Sometimes when there is a hardware problem, you might face issues with the Wi-Fi range. To ensure that is not the case, check the connection and the Wi-Fi card. If need be, replace the card, this should help strengthen your Wi-Fi signal.
6. Change router wireless channel
If multiple wireless networks are using the same channel, some interference might occur. To fix this issue, set up your wireless channel manually. To learn more about it, check the router’s instruction manual.
7. Change Wi-Fi adapter antenna
If the router or Wi-Fi adapter, you are using has a switchable antenna, replace it with a stronger one. This will ensure the best wireless quality and Wi-Fi range.
8. Set antenna diversity to Auxiliary
To extend the Wi-Fi range set Antenna diversity to Auxiliary. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. In the Windows search bar type Device Manager, select the best result, and open it.
2. Click Advanced tab > set Antenna diversity to Auxiliary.
3. Save changes, the Wi-Fi signal should not be amplified.
9. Ensure the card is properly installed
When the Wi-Fi card is not correctly installed, then too you might face issues with the signal. To ensure the card is rightly connected look in the PCI slot.
10. Update router firmware
Updating router firmware in some cases helps fix the problem with the Wi-Fi range. To learn more about it you can check the router manual. (The steps to do it vary from router to router. )
11. Change band preference
Modern routers are compatible with a 5GHz frequency. If your router supports it, switch to it, doing so will strengthen the Wi-Fi signal.
How to Boost Wi-Fi Signals?
Everyone likes using wireless networks as they have their advantages. But when there is an issue with the Wi-Fi range everything comes to a standstill. To fix this issue and amplify the Wi-Fi signal, we have listed the best ways to resolve the problem and boost Bluetooth signal strength. We hope we were able to answer your question related to how to extend the Wi-Fi range.
Do let us know which step worked for you best in the comments section. Furthermore, to keep drivers updated and to avoid facing driver-related issues we suggest using Advanced Driver Updater.