The world wide web is the deepest and biggest source of any and every kind of information. Whether you want to enhance your knowledge, keep yourself updated with current affairs or wants to hang out with your friends and much more all you need to dive into the world of the Internet.
However, as every coin has two sides same goes with the Internet. If the above listed factors are the brighter side of this coin then easily available violent and abusive content, nudity and phishing sites are the darker side. While as an adult we can easily discriminate between good and bad but a child can be easily lost his childhood in that darker world of Internet.
So, what the best you can do is block certain websites on your computer and that too by some simple tweaks.
Block A Website on Your PC
On Windows operating system to block a certain website you neither need to be tech geek nor any third party paid software is required. All you need to make some small changes in the Windows hosts file to restrict a website on your computer.
What is Windows Hosts File?
Windows Hosts File is a simple text file residing in Windows folder that is used by Windows to map, those easy to remember hostnames to complicated numerical IP addresses. As per Microsoft the hosts file is one of several system resources that address network nodes in a computer network and is a common part of an operating system’s IP implementation.
Therefore, using this hosts file and making some alternation in it you can block certain websites on your computer.
So, guys without further let’s check out the steps to block a website using Windows hosts file:
- Open Run command box by pressing Windows + R and type in the following %windir%\system32\drivers\etc. You can also navigate to the following path C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- Now in the etc folder double click on the hosts file.
- Now from the list of programs select Notepad to open the hosts file and click OK.
- This will open the Windows hosts file in notepad.
- Now place the cursor at the end of the file and type 127.0.0.1 address of the website. Say for an example if you wish to block YouTube then type 127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com. Likewise, you can add as many number of websites to block. Once you have added the address of all the websites that you wish to block then press Ctrl+S to save the hosts file.
- Now to test restart all the opened browsers. You will be surprised to see that all the websites that you have added in the hosts file are now blocked in all browsers.
Going forward, whenever you try to access these blocked websites you will be redirected to the local computer address known as local hosts.
So, guys, that’s it from our side. Hope now using this simple trick you can easily block specific website on your computer that you do not wish your child to open even by mistake.