Whether it is Windows, Mac or Linux, every OS needs protection due to the increase in the number of cyber crimes. Earlier only Windows and Mac were the target of cyber bullies but it seems now, these criminals have expanded their reach to Linux users as well.
Well, to counter the issue or to protect your device, all you need to do is install Antivirus software on your computer to ensure the device’s safety. We have listed some of the best free Antivirus software that you could get.
Best Antivirus For Linux
ClamAV is an open source Antivirus software which detects virus, malware, trojans and other threats and it is also available for free which makes it one of the best Antivirus software for Linux.
Features Of ClamAV:
- ClamAV has command line scanner that means it scans for worms, viruses, and Trojan horses in major file types.
- To ensure the security and to stay up to date, virus database is updated multiple times in a day.
- It has an inbuilt support for different archive formats, including Zip, OLE2, SIS,Dmg,RAR, BinHex, Gzip, Tar, Bzip2,, Cabinet, CHM, and others
As the name suggests, Chkrootkit checks for a rootkit. It is a free software which works on command line interface.
Features of Chkrootkit
- You can scan your system without installing the software.
- It is a light weight program that means it doesn’t affect the system performance.
- It can also detect various other malware and trojan like backdoor, TinyNDS and more.
One of the best free Antivirus software for Linux, Comodo, with on demand virus scanner, also checks the uses cloud database to check the unknown files to ensure security on every single day.
Features Of Comodo:
- Comodo, once installed, doesn’t bother you with useless alerts, just shields the computer against all the incoming threats.
- You can also schedule scanning with the scan scheduler and check the events with the event viewer.
- It updates automatically which keeps the virus database updated to ensure regular security.
Another free antivirus software, Sophos has advanced features and is also light on your Linux system.
Features of Sophos:
- Sophos keeps your Linux free from virus and malware of Android, Windows, and Mac.
- It has strong heuristics-based detection with real-time scanning feature.
- The software performs good and is also compatible with other devices.
5. Rootkit Hunter
Another good choice to detect rootkit for free, Rootkit Hunter is also considered one of the best antivirus for Linux.
Features of Rootkit Hunter
- Rootkit Hunter uses the SHA-1 hash comparison to scan and detect malware and other malicious items.
- It is compatible with most of the UNIX systems.
- It uses command line interface and is light weight.
Last but definitely not the least, F-PROT is a freeware with an on-demand scanner, which is a great option to consider.
Features Of F-PROT
- It lets you schedule your scans according to your preferences.
- It ensures security against macro viruses, boot sector virus, and trojans.
- The powerful tool is a lethal combo of fast scanning and huge database which keeps your system secure.
These are some of the best free Antivirus for Linux. Check them out and if any of your favorites are missing from the list please let us know in the comment section below.
AVTWhy Dr.Web Security Space for Linux is not mentioned in this article? This is effective and very much affordable solution with 90 days free trial. It definitely deserved to be mentioned. Bitdefender doesn’t exist for Linux anymore F-Prot is extremely old and Comodo cannot be installed on modern Linux either. Please update the article.
Francisco GonzalezHi! please update your article both Sophos and F-Prot has been discontinued.
BobSrishti Sisodiag obviously did not research this the way he should have.
Mansi VijayHey Bob, We’re extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, but we’ll be soon updating this list with some fresh options. Stay tuned!