People who use internet on a regular basis are recommended strongly to change their Wi-Fi passwords from time to time. But then there are some who cannot remember their latest passwords. Therefore, they prefer to set same username and password for all accounts like emails, Facebook, twitter and phones. But do you know anyone with knowledge about your credentials can log into your router and gain complete access?
To ensure your privacy and security of your Wi-Fi network, change the administrative password of your router whenever you have any doubt that someone also have an access to your internet without your permission.
The default credentials of wireless network are mostly targeted by hackers. In case if the default or old password is not replaced with a new password any cyberpunk, geek or any other random person might approach within the signal range of your router and try to modify the settings of it.
Also Read: How to find Saved Wi-Fi Password on Mac
According to various sources “Many security guidelines have recommended frequent password changes, usually between 30 and 180 days. Windows Server has a default of 42 days”.
Frequently changing your username and password makes it a bit difficult for people to remember their password. Make sure whenever you are setting a new password use “Alpha-Numeric values with Special Characters”.
Change your Wi-Fi Password and Network Name with the help of below steps:
- Open Macintosh HD then, Application
- Click on Utilities and select Airport utility
- A new window will appear on your screen, then Select Edit.
- Click on the Wireless tab.
- If you want to change the Wi-Fi network name and password.
- Enter a new name in the wireless network field to change the Wi-Fi network name
- Enter a new password and verify password fields.
- Click on Update to save the changes.
Note: Make sure you hit on Update within 5 minutes to save the changes.
Also ReaD: WiMAX – Future of Mobile Technologies
Things to remember while setting/changing your Wi-Fi Password
- Find out “The Admin Interface for your Router”.
- Do not use a Common Wireless Network Name -SSID.
- Under the Wireless Security Configuration Window, ensure that you are using the latest encryption.
- Establish a strong password for the WPA pre-shared key for a wireless network.
Also Read: LiFi – Light is the New Way of Communication
It only takes a few minutes to change your Wi-Fi password and it’s essential to secure your network, username and password from vicinal and intruders. It is obvious that your neighbors will not like it. As, they won’t be able to use free Wi-Fi for their personal use and on the other hand, you don’t need to pay for the data which you haven’t used.