A tech augmented home that gives freshly brewed coffee on bed after you wake up. Or an oven that starts heating your toast, once you step out of shower. Or a refrigerator texting to remind you about the beer cans available for your next party. A home which is smart and responsible and can talk. Yes, we are in the future, imagined decades ago in books and tv shows.
Whether you are at home or not, home automation gives you control over what’s going inside your home. It is way beyond the humble yet fun “clap on, clap off” lights from the 80’s. This new progression includes an impressive collection of smart home automation technologies including advanced security, automating climate control and ease of living.
How It Works: Home automation is connected to the central system of you home and is synced to your devices like smartphone, tablet, keypad or touch screen panel. Eventually, it gives information on your smartphone on real time basis.
The Budding Trend: The extraordinary experience provided by smart home robotics have motivated consumers to gradually accept this technology. The factors responsible are
- Population Growth: Rising urban population along with ageing generation have become a driving force for the growth of home automation.
- Rising Penetration of Internet Accessibility: Internet of Things(IoT) and machine to machine(M2M) communication are simplifying this notion.
- Mounting Demand of Security: The facility to remotely check lock and unlock doors, camera feeds getting alerts on smartphones add to safety and peace of mind.
- Energy Management: Smart thermostats controls room climate and increases energy efficiency. If you are home or away and at day or night, system adjusts temperature according to your preference.
Challenges: Home automation, is currently the talk of the town and is available at your fingertips. But issues such as high installation cost and low awareness are becoming the biggest challenge in the home automation market.
- Fragmented Market: The dominant tech-giants are manufacturing disparate smart home products and technologies. This uneven production baffles consumers as how to assimilate devices made by different vendors. Either they are not compatible or require replacement devices making procedure difficult.
- Limited Functionality: Assimilating devices from different vendors often leads to limited functionality and defective service. Further, various systems have complex interfaces that restrict the functionality of smart homes.
- High Installation Cost: Completely integrated custom systems are costly and generally involve a consultant to install them. The high cost is attributed to the structural changes to the home and price of the system.
PS: Do not forget the maintenance cost
- Low Awareness: currently, the target audience of home automation market are the wealthy class, who can afford such changes or the DIYers. Commoners are largely kept out of this invention, leading to low awareness.
How to Make Home Automation a Revolutionary Concept?
“You can kill a man but not his idea” and to change the world, the idea must be implemented globally. For instance, the idea of effective communication gave birth to internet and its evident, how internet has changed our lives.
Technologists must largely focus on the welfare of individuals and families one home at a time. But when it comes to connected homes, most of them remain untapped. The actual advantage of home automation to humanity can only be realized when smart homes are turned into fully connected smart communities.
A shift from community automation from home automation is need of the hour. Constructing a built-in smart irrigation system at community level or using automation to build an electric grid to connect all smart homes would be much more beneficial. Scientists must understand that including community in this automation process will allow industry to grow organically as well as rapidly.
When an industry develops around a revolutionary idea that benefits society, change can happen quickly. Automation industry is emerging at a rapid rate and therefore it must explore different sectors to help world socially and economically. How will you use home automation to bring some changes in the society or at home? Give your suggestion in the comment box below.