Earlier if wanted to become a game developer, you must learn a couple of programming languages such as JAVA, ActionScript, C++ and more. As these programming languages help a developer to create 2D or 3D games. However, now there are a plenty of game designing software available with which coding is not necessary.
So, with the advancement in tools, you can enter the gaming industry without being formally educated to do so. The video game creation software comes with simple and easy to use interface. Mostly a software consists of a graphics editor, an event system, a level editor, special effects and other tools which helps in development while saving your time.
If you are ready to use amazing game design software to create your own games and monetize them, read on!
Best Video Game Creation Software
The below-discussed game making software both works great whether you are a professional game developer or novice trying hands on something new.
1. Construct 2
Construct 2 is a game making software which is specially designed for 2D games. The software lets you design games even if you don’t have any knowledge of coding. It is very easy to use the software, all you need to do is drag and drop objects and add behaviours to make everything work! Let’s take a look at the features of Construct 2:
- You can add amazing visual effects with the help of C2 blend modes, particle system and effects.
- The software comes with 70 WebGL-based pixel shader effects which help you distort, warp, blur, mask, blend and more. Add these to objects or layers and get special effects that you need.
- You can publish your games on Chrome Web Store, NewGrounds, Scirra Arcade and even you can publish it to your website. You can export your game to Mac, PC and Linux apps with the help of Node-Webkit wrapper.
You can also get your games on Android and iOS app stores as well by using wrappers with inbuilt support. Construct 2 comes with over 20 inbuilt plugins, over 20 unique behaviors along with 70 or more visual effects.
Unity is one of the best free game design software available to develop games with ease. Unity is a combination of interactivity, visualization and real-time speed. Let’s take a look at the features of Unity:
- This video game creation software is available for both Windows and Mac. It has a variety of user-friendly tools which helps in designing games. It also has a wide range of developer tools which helps in implementing high-performance gameplay and game logic
- It consists of a navigation system which enables you to create NPC which can work across the game world with ease.
- It also has inbuilt user interface system which enables you to develop UI quickly.
Unity is available for free if you want it for personal use, that means if you are a beginner then you can use Unity Personal version. However, the paid versions with advanced features are also available.
3. Adventure Game Studio
Adventure Game Studio is one of the best game making software which helps a developer in making adventure games. Adventure games have been in action again in the past few years, so most of the independent developers are working to bring the old magic back. Let’s take a look at the features of Adventure Game Studio:
- It has simple UI and anyone can handle the software to develop an adventure game.
- The software comes with all the necessary tools for developing your own adventure.
- The software enables you to test, create, debug the game with ease.
The software supports all 8-bit (palette), 16-bit (hi-color) and 32-bit (true-color). The program also has crossfading music, footstep sounds, ambient sounds, and multiple sound channels.
Looking for software to develop storytelling games? Your hunt is over, as you can use Quest! Quest is a video game creation software which is available for free, whether you use it on web or on your Windows computer. You can make games on Quest and sell them without any restrictions. Let’s take a look at the features of Quest:
- The software has fully featured scripting language. You can use variables & functions to share scripts between objects. Also, you can make and share libraries of advanced functionality.
- It enables you to add pictures, sound effects and music to your game. Also, you can add embed video from YouTube as well.
- You can create games in French, English, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Spanish and more.
Once you have developed the game, you can publish it on the website as it is the most place where people look for text adventures.
5. RPG Maker VX Ace Lite
RPG Maker VX Ace Lite is yet another best free game design software which has tools to support you to develop a game that you always wanted. Let’s take a look at the features of RPG Maker VX Ace Lite:
- The software has enhanced map editor to create your own world.
- You can access Enemy/Character/Equipment/Skill Database with powerful, flexible features system.
- It comes with default resources, inbuilt character generator to create your own custom faces.
RPG Maker VX Ace has a huge collection of graphics, along with various powerful tools. These tools are flexible and simple to use. If you have completed the game, you can export in a EXE file which can be run on a Windows computer. You can share the game on the internet as well as with your friends and family.
Looking for a game making software to design a game without any coding knowledge, try Stencyl. It acts as a supporting system and provides you with toolsets that stimulates workflow. You can make a game and publish it anywhere on any platform, be it iOS, Windows, Android, Mac or Linux. Let’s take a look at the features of Stencyl:
- It helps you to build game logic with the help of scratch inspired block builder.
- With Stencyl, you get the great drag and drop interface. It has added new functionality along with readymade blocks to the simple block-snapping interface.
- It also has similar features to Photoshop, such as flood fill, zooming, selection tool, grid-snapping
Stencyl not only enables you to develop a game by providing an extensive set of tools but also you can also sell your game on Steam, Google Play and App Store.
Sploder is a video game creation software which is available online and specially made to be used by novice game developers. It comes with a lot of toolsets which enable developers to build arcade games, platforms, shooters and more. Let’s take a look at the features of Sploder:
- The software provides separate toolset of every category along with its own physics game creator. The physics game creator helps to build physics-based games.
- It comes with a graphics editor which enables you to develop your own pixilated characters.
- It lets you publish the game on the company’s website.
You can use Sploder to create games with your imagination and toolsets available and share them with friends, and family.
PlayCanvas is one of the best free game design software which can be used to make online multiplayer games, messengers games, architectural visualizations and more. Let’s take at the features of PlayCanvas:
- The software has an advanced WebGL authoring environment. It has a lot of features which can help you develop a game that you always dreamt of.
- It helps you develop apps swiftly using Google Docs-style real-time collaboration.
- The software enables coders and creatives to build Rich Media Ads that run universally. It gives you a bigger platform to reach out to your audience.
The tools of the software are developed using open source technology, which helps you make games economic prices.
Yet another online game making software, GameFroot, which helps you to create pixilated games. It has KiwiJS, HTML5 game engine, which is capable to make your games run faster. Let’s take a look at the features of GameFroot:
- The game engine of the software works on all the mobile devices which are web-enabled.
- It enables you to create scripts powered by Google Blockly, visual code editor.
- The software has an intuitive interface which helps you to make your game the way you like.
It allows you to publish your finished game to CocoonJS to export for iPhone and Android and also on Chrome Store. However, to publish your game, you need to have a paid subscription.
So, that’s it! This is the list of best free game design software available in the market. Not all the games are designed for novice or pro, so you need to go through the list and choose yourselves the one which suits you the best.